Here is a selection of useful educational links, including schools, tuition agencies and exam boards.
Special offer – up to 30% off!
Atom Learning is a KS2 online adaptive learning platform, covering English, Maths and Verbal and Non-verbal reasoning. Atom Learning combines high-quality, teacher-made content with sophisticated technology to keep students on their individual, optimal learning paths. Atom Learning is designed to consolidate KS2 knowledge and help those preparing for senior school entrance assessments such as the 11+, the ISEB Common Pre-Tests and the London Consortium tests.
You can find the latest Atom Learning marketing video here.
If you click here and quote qSpnTRQh as your discount code, you’ll receive 10% off any subscription you decide to take out.
‘The prices displayed in the table below are pre-discount. Subscribing via my code will reduce all subscriptions by 10%.
If you sign up for a year-long subscription, you’ll automatically receive a 20% discount off the total cost. Signing up using the qSpnTRQh code will give you a further 10%, giving you a 30% discount overall!
- Signing up for a Premium subscription for 12 months via this link: £518.31
- Signing up for a Standard subscription for 12 months via this link: £431.91
- Atom don’t offer a 20% annual discount on a Basic subscription, so using this link will just give you 10% off the total payment.
If you’re looking for help with exam technique, try The 7 Day Exam Plan from The Exam Coach.
Cover the essentials of exam success in just 7 days by listening to a 10-15 minute audio message each day delivered on WhatsApp.
Receive messages every weekday (Mon – Fri) throughout the rest of the school year to help you stay on track and do the right things at the right time.
Have The Exam Coach in your corner throughout crucial times such as holiday revision and exam season.
If you’d like to transform the way you study for your exams, sign up for The 7 Day Exam Plan for just £79. You can even message The Exam Coach on WhatsApp for 30 days free!
You can get £5 off all orders over £40 at Exam Papers Plus when you enter the code nickdale at checkout.
Mention ‘KingsNickDale’ when you book a lesson with Kings Tutors to get 5% off the normal hourly rate.
Employability Accelerator Programme (18-26 years old)
Bespoke Tuition is pleased to offer a £200 discount on the Employability Accelerator Programme, designed to offer real, practical support for young adults during this extraordinarily turbulent time – for whatever their next step may be. By creating a programme of invaluable career mentoring from FTSE 500 recognised executive coaches, intensive and focused work experience, and with an award-winning learning platform, Employability Accelerator aims to ensure that participants stand out and accelerate their prospects, whether ensuring their place at university, internship, graduate job or first step on the career ladder. The programme is currently delivered online and is carefully tailored to suit each individual’s goals, aspirations and abilities.
- Get Prepared. The pandemic has made career development more difficult. Our programme is specifically designed to work in a virtual environment. How students use this summer can significantly change future employability – don’t waste it.
- Experience Work. Exposure to real work as early as possible is integral to success. Over a third of recruiters who took part in a Highfliers survey of the graduate market* warned that ‘irrespective of their academic achievements, graduates who have had no previous work experience…have little or no chance of receiving a job offer.’
- Motivate. We are passionate about students realising their potential, no matter what. In a time where a Prospects survey** showed ‘66% final year students feel negative about their future careers’ and ‘83% are lacking in motivation,’ the programme is designed to elevate enthusiasm and motivation to achieve the best future for the next generation, even in the face of challenging circumstances. Watch video.
- 2-weeks of work experience and tailored personal development sessions
- Ongoing one-to-one feedback from professional Coaches to ensure you master core business skills and personal development
- Recommendations, application support and improved confidence to optimise your employability chances
Duration and hours
The programme lasts for 2 weeks and aims to replicate the structure of a working week, running from 9.30am-4.30pm, Monday-Friday. There is social activity too with your managers, coaches and peer group.
Students must typically be a minimum of 18 years of age and currently students or recent graduates. For the work experience project, students will be organised into groups of around 5 peers.
Dates and pricing
The Programmes run throughout the summer and over Christmas 2020. Please click below to be taken to more information about current programme availability and price.
If you quote ‘Bespoke’ on application, you’ll receive a special £200 discount. Apply now.
Boss Box Gives Kids the Gift of Entrepreneurship this Xmas – now with 10% off
2020 has certainly been a strange year, but that doesn’t mean that Christmas is cancelled. If you’re struggling to find the perfect present for your children why not help foster their creative juices with a Boss Box Business Creation Kit.
A perfect way to entertain the whole family over the Christmas holiday, Boss Box Creation Kits come in three different formats and allow kids to ‘make, package and sell’ either Cake Pops, Dog Treats or Bath Bombs. Playing to children’s love for baking each kit contains an easy step by step instruction manual to guide them every step of the way so they can bake and sell their product in just a few hours.
From detailed instructions on how to make and package their product, naming their company and how to fill in their marketing flyers, each kit contains all the key ingredients to launch a mini business, enabling children to learn the basic skills of entrepreneurship.
By teaching children essential ‘off syllabus’ life lessons through play it provides the creativity, empathy, and passion to improve their ability to become business starters and possible future leaders.
Boss Box Business Creation Kits are available from £34.95 with a 20% discount for Black Friday purchases from the Boss Box website www.bossbox.co. You can get an additional 10% discount by quoting ‘TUTOR10‘ when you check out.
Types of school
The terminology for schools in the UK can be quite confusing, so here’s a quick guide.
- Private schools charge fees and are not run by the Government, although they have to follow certain rules. They are also known as independent schools, and the most famous ones such as Eton and Harrow are- confusingly – known as public schools
- Grammar schools are state schools and don’t charge fees, but they are academically selective and have a very good reputation. There are only 164 of them left.
- Comprehensive schools make up the vast majority of free state schools and generally have the worst reputation, but there are exceptions.
- Faith schools have to follow the national curriculum, but they can choose what they teach in religious studies and may have different admissions criteria and staffing policies to other state schools, although anyone can apply for a place.
- Free schools are Government-funded but aren’t run by the local council, which means they have more control over staffing and curriculum. However, they’re ‘all-ability’ schools, so they can’t use academic selection processes like grammar schools.
- Academies are state schools that are funded by the Government but run by an academy trust, a charity that controls how funds are spent and how the school is managed.
- City technology colleges are independent schools in urban areas that are free for pupils to attend. They’re owned and funded by businesses as well as the Government and specialise in practical and technical skills.
- Special schools are schools for children aged 11 and over with special educational needs. They can specialise in one of four areas: communication and interaction, cognition and learning, social, emotional and mental health, or sensory and physical needs. Within each area, they can go further, for instance by catering specifically for children with autism or visual impairments.
The Independent Schools Council has a searchable database of private schools here, but I’ve listed the major ones in the Greater London area and elsewhere.
Charterhouse Square School
City of London Freemen’s School
City of London School
City of London School for Girls
Francis Holland School
Garden House School
Godolphin & Latymer School
Guildford High School
The Harrodian School
Ibstock Place School
James Allen’s Girls’ School
King’s College School
Kingston Grammar School
Lady Eleanor Holles School
Latymer Upper School
Marymount International School London
Mill Hill School
North Bridge House School
North London Collegiate School
Notting Hill and Ealing High School
Palmers Green High School
Putney High School
Queen’s College, London
Royal Grammar School
South Hampstead High School
St Benedict’s School
St Dunstan’s College
St James Independent Schools
St Paul’s Girls’ School
St Paul’s Juniors
St Paul’s School
Surbiton High School
Sylvia Young Theatre School
The Harrodian School
The Latymer School
University College School
Westminster Under School
Wimbledon High School
Cheltenham Ladies’ College
The King’s School Canterbury
The Manchester Grammar School
The Perse School
St Edward’s Oxford
School open days
Adrian Beckett Tutors
Bespoke Tuition (just quote ‘Nick Dale’ for a free 45-minute online tutorial or consult the Bespoke Tuition Teaching Resource Bank)
BOFA 11 Plus
Bright Young Things Tuition
British Home Tutors
Carfax Private Tutors
First Class Tutors
The Golden Circle
Holland Park Tuition
Kensington & Chelsea Tutors
Kings Tutors (mention ‘KingsNickDale’ when you book a lesson to get a 5% discount on the hourly rate)
Kip McGrath Education Centres
Learn Happy London
Mentor & Sons
My Private Tutor
Select My Tutor
Simply Learning Tuition
The Tutor Trust
UK Study Centre
123 Help Me – Much Ado About Nothing
15 Best Children’s Books of All Time
20 English Idioms with their Meanings and Origins
Amazon Children’s Books Store
Apptitude – Free resources for tutors (Facebook)
Apptitude – Free resources for tutors (LinkedIn)
AQA Year 11 Guide to GCSE Writing Section
BBC Bitesize – Writing to persuade, argue and advise
Common spelling mistakes
Creative Writing tips at 11
Descriptosaurus, by Alison Wilcox
DFE English Curriculum
Dictionary.com – Word Dynamo
English Revision Aid 1
English Revision Aid 2
English Revision Aid 3
English Revision Aid 4
English Revision Aid 5
English Revision Aid 6
English Revision Aid 7
English Revision Aid 8
English Revision Aid 9
English Revision Aid 10
Hampton School Bookworms
ISEB Common Pre-Tests – Information for Parents
Mr Heath’s Class – Super Sentence Openers
My English Pages
Neuro Balance Centre
Online Literature – WB Yeats
Phrasal verbs (Off2Class)
RFP Evaluation Centers – Flesch Reading Ease Readability Score
Spark Notes – A View from the Bridge
Spark Notes – Doctor Faustus
Spark Notes – Dracula
Spark Notes – Emily Dickinson
Spark Notes – Jane Eyre
Spark Notes – Lord of the Flies
Spark Notes – Of Mice & Men
Spark Notes – Othello
Spark Notes – The Canterbury Tales
Spark Notes – WB Yeats
Standards Schmandards – Readability Index Calculator
University of Bristol – Punctuation exercises
University of Ottawa – The Parts of Speech
University of Ottawa – Conjunctions
University of Ottawa – The Structure of a Sentence
Wikipedia – Jane Eyre
Wikipedia – The Pardoner’s Tale
Word list for Years 5 and 6
Words to learn – Years 1 and 2
Words to learn – Years 3 and 4
Words to learn – Years 5 and 6
Hampton School – Maths Wizard Challenge
James Billot – Speed Distance Time Test
Math Warehouse – Angles of a Polygon
Maths Revision – GCSE
Maths Revision Aid 1
Maths Revision Aid 2
Maths Revision Aid 3
Maths Revision Aid 4
Maths Revision Aid 5
Maths Revision Aid 6
Maths Revision Aid 7
Maths Revision Aid 8
Maths Revision Aid 9
Maths Revision Aid 10
Maths Revision Aid 11
Maths Revision Aid 12
Times tables questions
United Kingdom Mathematics Trust – Junior Mathematical Challenge Paper
Wiki Answers – Diagonals of a Polygon
Wikipedia – Trigonometry
Aztec Sailing – Admiralty Charts
Aztec Sailing – Theory Class
British Offshore Sailing School – RYA Day Skipper Syllabus – Tidal
RYA – Day Skipper
RYA – Shore-based Instructors
Visit My Harbour – Cowes Harbour
Age/Grade/Year Equivalents Table
Age, Year and Curriculum Stage for UK, US & IB
Cottar’s Colouring Book Pictures by Aimee Cass
Dance Mat Typing
Department for Education (QTS)
Department for Education (writing assessment)
Grammar School Insider
Homework Helpline Hub
Internet 4 Classrooms – MS Word Keyboard Shortcuts
LNAT Practice Tests
Minerva Tutors TV
Pass the QTS Skills Tests
School Entrance Tests
Teachers Pay Teachers
TES – Teaching Resources
TES – Classroom Toolkit
TES – The secret world of the über tutor
Type by Touch
Wikipedia – Keyboard Shortcuts