I always sign Christmas and birthday cards with a capital ‘N’. It makes me feel like Napoleon…
The three main things to check after writing anything are spelling, punctuation and capital letters, so when do you use capitals?
- For the important words in titles, either of individuals or pieces of writing, eg Chief Inspector of Schools or This Blog Post is Great!
- For proper nouns, eg Peter, Tuesday and Chelsea.
- For abbreviations, eg BBC (although acronyms you can actually pronounce only need one at the start, eg Nato, not NATO).
- For the first word in a sentence, eg This is a sentence.
- For the first word in direct speech, eg he said, “Hello.”
- The word “I”.